Hampden Charter School of Science (HCSS), Western MA’s top ranked public charter school, is now accepting applications for 6th through 12th grades of the the 2015-2016 school year. You can apply at HCSS-Apply Online or by sending your application to Hampden Charter School of Science, 20 Johnson Rd Chicopee, MA 01022. The application deadline is Thursday, March 12th, 2015.
Open House Dates:
On Wednesdays; from 4:15pm to 5:00pm;
- January 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
- February 4th, 11th, 25th
- March 4th, 11th
On Saturdays; from 11:00am to 12:00pm;
- January 10th, 17th, 24th, 31th
- February 7th, 14th, 21th, 28th
- March 7th
FLL Robotics Competition
On Saturday December 13th, the HCSS Robotics Team competed at FLL Robotics Competition. Robo Wolves did a great job and took the mechanical design award in their first robotics year.
"This year is our first year but we got the first place in mechanical design. Thank you everyone who support us!" said Austin Micheli, a member of HCSS Wolves. The other team members are Sophia Bolston, Austin Micheli, Landon Himmelreich, Joseph Philpott, Christopher Reynolds, Lisandro Martinez, Seth Kezer, Nicholas Drouin.
Over the last two months all the students had worked hard and were ecstatic about their performance and success at the event.
Congrats to the team and a big thank you to all parents and sponsors for their ongoing support.
College Financial Aid Night
Dear parents and guardians,
You are invited to attend important financial aid workshop that are designed to help you complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Regardless of which college, university or technical school your child plan to attend, FAFSA is the form that you must fill out to determine your eligibility and apply for all federal grants, work-study, student loans & some need-based scholarships. The financial aid presentation will be given by Mrs. Catherine Ryan, Director of Financial Aid at Westfield State University.
The Updated Academic Calendar
Dear HCSS Family,
The HCSS Board approved the calendar test date updates based on the new PARCC testing dates. You can download the updated calendar from the link below:
This list includes all of the official state and internal school practice test dates:
|December 16-17||ELA MCAS Practice Test 1 S1-S2 (Grade 10)|
|February 11-12-13||ELA PARCC Practice Test S1-S2-S3 (Grades 6,7,8,9,11)|
|February 12-13||ELA MCAS Practice Test 2 S1-S2 (Gr 10)|
|20-Mar||SCI MCAS Practice Test (Grades 8-9)|
|24-Mar||MCAS Composition (Grade 10)|
|March 25-26||MCAS Reading S1-S2 (Grade 10)|
|March 24-25-26||PARCC ELA PBA S1-S2-S3 (Grades 6,7,8,9,11)|
|April 1-2||PARCC MATH PBA S1-S2 (Grades 6,7,8,9,11)|
|April 1-2||MATH Practice Test S1-S2 (Grade 10)|
|May 12-13||MATH MCAS S1-S2 (Grade 10)|
|May 12-13||PARCC ELA EOY S1-S2 (Grades 6,7,8,9,11)|
|15-May||SCIENCE MCAS (Grade 8)|
|May 20-21||PARCC MATH EOY S1-S2 (Grades 6,7,8,9,11)|
|June 2-3||BIOLOGY MCAS S1-S2 (Grade 9)|
Late Pick-Up Policy Announcement
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our after-school programs, athletics, and Saturday School programs are usually provided at no cost to our students. This is in hope that they may become more successful, not just in the classroom, but to better prepare them after they leave HCSS. Understanding that teachers/staff time is important, students should be picked up in a timely fashion from these programs. We have recently noticed, more students be picked up late from school in regards to these programs.
- Regular school dismissal on Monday-Thursday is 4:00 pm for all students: dismissal on Friday is 3:19 pm for all students.
- After-school/ Detention dismissal is at 4:45 pm Tuesday and Thursday. There are no activities held after-school on Monday; Wednesday and Friday are at teacher discretion.
- Saturday Detention dismissal is at 12 noon.
- Saturday School dismissal is 1 pm.
- Athletic Dismissals are per Athletic Director and/or the individual coach’s discretion.
Students should be picked up promptly from school. Parents and those picking up students from school are asked to be very sensitive to the extra burden placed on the school when students need to be supervised after the pick-up time.
Penalties for late pick-up:
- 15 minutes after assigned dismissal time, parents will receive a phone call.
- After this initial 15 minutes, there will be a late fee of $5 for each additional 10 minutes, until that student is picked up from the program. (Example, if two students are picked up from after school help at 5:30, they each owe $30) Late fees must be paid at the front office to Mrs. Hendrickson as soon as possible. If the fine is not received , the student will not be allowed to attend school functions (field trips, dances etc.) or receive his or her report card
- If after one-hour the student remains at school, the proper authorities may be contacted.
- If late pick-ups happen 3 times in one school year, the student will not be allowed to attend after-school, Saturday School, or may receive an alternative consequence for the remainder or the school year.
(Penalties for late pick-up start with the 2nd infraction)
The National Honor Society
The National Honor Society (NHS) is the nation's premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1921.
Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in NHS activities. NHS chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognizes students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.
NHS is looking for new members to serve, help, and lead our school and society. Please get an application package from Mr. Dere, College Guidance Counselor/NHS Advisor in Room: 213.
The deadline is December 19, 2014.
Contact info Mr. Dere, Mr. Polat