HCSS will be implementing a 1:1 Chromebook Program (a computer for every student) in grades 6-12. Preparing students for the challenges of college and careers requires a dynamic learning environment that supports creativity, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and technological skills. In an effort to move students toward these outcomes, HCSS will launch a 1-to-1 digital learning environment. Every student in grades 6-12 will be issued a Chromebook for his/her use for the year in and out of school. Chromebooks are laptops created by Google to harness the use of the Google platform and Google Apps to make academic work more streamlined. The Chromebooks boot up quickly and easily, have a long battery life, and are cost effective.
We are very excited about how this technology will improve our classroom environment. Chromebooks will impact the classroom in many ways:
- Teachers will be able to give better feedback on projects and assignments. Students will be able to collaborate with teachers before the project or assignment is due instead of waiting for communication after the final product is completed.
- Submitting assignments will be more streamlined: Students will be able to receive and submit almost all assignments online, minimizing the problem of lost or missing work; teachers will also be able to see student papers in real time.
- Students and teachers will have immediate access to the Internet for research.
- Students will be able to use the Google platform to collaborate on projects and assignments.
- Students will be able to use the Google platform to ask each other questions and work together from anywhere in a safe and monitored environment.
Parents can either purchase insurance to borrow a Chromebook from school, or purchase a personal Chromebook that matches the model and specifications of the HCSS laptops. More information will be given in May 2017.
The integration of this technology will prove very beneficial to students, affording them the opportunity of a learning environment conducive to creativity, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and exposure to a wide array of educational resources both during their time in school and beyond the traditional school day.
As always, we thank you in advance for your support of this initiative as we strive to positively transform the learning environment for all of our students.
Hampden Charter School of Science