Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians:
As a college preparatory school, we at Hampden Charter School of Science are proud of our successes and look forward to another exciting and productive school year. HCSS faculty and staff truly exemplify our mission of providing opportunities and resources for all students.
We take a lot of pride in our diverse school community, and you are a vital part of it. We are committed to providing a safe and supportive learning environment that leads to high achievement and individual excellence. Our mission is to empower our students with the support necessary to reach their highest potential and to strengthen their preparation for college and career.
We have a number of updates for the 2017-2018 school year.
- HCSS is growing! Earlier this year a second campus, HCSS-West, was approved by the Department of Education. HCSS-West will open in September of 2018 and will serve students in grades 6-12 from Agawam, Holyoke, Westfield, and West Springfield. Because of the addition of this second campus, the name of our Chicopee school has been revised to HCSS-East.
- HCSS introduces its new logo and motto, ”Scientia Potestas Est,” which reflects our commitment to the preparation of students for college and career. Knowledge is Power!
- We continue to invest in technology and are implementing a 1:1 digital learning environment at this year. Preparing students for the challenges of college and careers requires a dynamic learning environment that supports creativity, collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and technological skills. Every student in grades 6-12 will be issued a Chromebook for his/her use, in and out of school.
- HCSS will be offering ten AP courses to prepare students in grades 9-12 for college. The AP courses we will be offering this year are AP English Language and Composition, AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP US History, AP World History, AP Psychology, and AP Human Geography. We will continue to work with Westfield State University, as well, to enhance our curriculum with new college-level dual credit courses.
- HCSS is implementing a new daily schedule which will allow us to use our instructional time more effectively and give our students more time for after-school activities. Classes will begin at 7:30 am and end at 2:37 pm.
- HCSS will continue to have advanced level clubs, including Science Olympiad, Robotics, Math Counts and AMC Math will be competing at the state and national levels.
- HCSS is upgrading our Student Information System (SIS) to Power School which will provide our parents, students, and teachers with enhanced communications via updated technology.
- HCSS has been recognized again by US News & World Report as one of the Best U.S. High Schools in 2017 and ranked in Silver category.
Our goal is to personalize education for every student and to exceed our accomplishments in all subject areas. Together we will set goals that will guide us successfully, with students as active participants in their education. This means that students have the responsibility to attend class every day, on time; to be prepared and involved in classroom activities; to do the required work thoughtfully, and to be respectful members of our school community.
This goal can be achieved only with your continued support. We value your input and look forward to the powerful collaboration of the student-teacher-parent triad, in order to continue with our successes.
Communication is key to the success of a relationship between school and home. If you use social media, I encourage you to follow us on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/hampdencharter as well as on Twitter at www.twitter.com/hampdencharter. These pages are updated frequently with information on school activities, events, improvements, as well as school delays or cancellations, should they occur.
We are looking forward to a wonderful year at Hampden Charter School of Science. It takes a cohesive, well-tuned team to be successful. Let’s make this the best year ever, by working together for our students!